taught lessons in etiquette by air hostesses. The aim of the program is to make the nurses more customer focused and dispel their image as unfriendly.
2. Acute kidney injury is common in China with 700,000 deaths a year. Researchers from the Medical College of Nantong University found that acute renal impairment went undiagnosed in more than 70% of cases, and was often caused by patients taking nephrotoxic drugs or TCM.
3. A female neurologist in Wuhan is suing a woman for slander and damage to her reputation after the women mounted a four year campaign to blame her for her mother's death. Dr Mei Bin is suing the woman for 5000 yuan in compensation and apology after the woman spread false stories about her and claimed she was unqualified for her post. Dr Mei Bin said she had nothing to do with the care of the women's mother and the allegations against her were false, probably related to a doctor with a similar name in another province.
4. Researchers from Zhejiiang report a case of human to human transmission of H7N9 influenza in hospital from Feb 2015. Both men died, according to a report in the BMJ.
5. Health inequalities: hospital mortality rates are 40% higher in rural areas compared to the cities, a new study shows.
6. About 44% of Chinese women take Traditional Chinese Medicines during pregnancy, the most common being Angelica sinsensis (29%), Ziziphus jujuba (21%) and Dioscorea opposita (13%). Most women used TCM on the advice of their mother or mother-in-la, according to the survey of 700 women in Sichuan. The researchers warned that TCM may cause fatal hepatic and renal effects and some are adulterated with lead or pesticides.
7. A Beijing medical school has started a program to train more psychiatrists to help overcome China's widespread lack of mental health clinicians. The Beijing Huilongguan Hospital Clinical School of Peking University aims to help train several hundred psychiatrists over the next decade. China currently only has 20,000 psychiatrists and needs at least three times that number to match other countries.